Catheter Associated Urinary Tract Infections (CAUTIs)
The CEC has produced the following presentations to support clinical educators in implementing the project resources. Clinical educators can use these materials for self-learning or for inclusion in staff education and training. These presentations can be adapted locally.
- Pre-insertion decision support tool educator presentation PPT ~1.4MB
- Urine specimen collection decision support tool educator presentation PPT ~2.7MB
- Criteria initiated urinary catheter removal protocol educator presentation PPT ~2.0MB
- Using eMR2 - Module 1: Dipstick results PPT ~1.3MB
- Using eMR2 - Module 2: Catheter insertion PPT ~4.1MB
- Using eMR2 - Module 3: Triggering a medical review PPT ~1.6MB
- Using eMR2 - Module 4: Maintenance and care PPT ~2.9MB
- Using eMR2 - Module 5: Catheter removal PPT ~3.2MB
Support Tool Guides
In addition, the following quick guides have been produced for clinicians. Each guide provides the clinician with background information and instructions on how to use the relevant decision support tool.
- Pre-insertion decision support tool quick guide PDF ~104KB
- Urine specimen collection decision support tool quick guide PDF ~75KB
- Criteria-initiated urinary catheter removal protocol quick guide PDF ~93KB
The ‘Inserting an Indwelling Urinary Catheter in an Adult’ eLearning module is now available on HETI Online. This module should be used to supplement practical training on catheter insertion.
Competency Assessment Tool
A competency assessment tool for catheter insertion has been developed to support clinical educators in assessing the competency of staff who are responsible for inserting urinary catheters. This tool includes assessment of the use of aseptic technique.