SCIDUA communicates with its key stakeholders as follows:
- Each individual health practitioner who provides information to the Committee on the SCIDUA questionnaire receives a letter from the Chairperson
- An annual report for the preceding calendar year is provided to the Minister.
- The Committee provides data to the ANZCA Mortality Working Group, which produces the triennial report of Safety of Anaesthesia: A review of anaesthesia related mortality reporting in Australia and New Zealand.
- Periodically, the Committee submits reports to peer-reviewed journals in which trends in anaesthesia-related mortality are described. These reports reach a wide range of anaesthetists in Australia, New Zealand and internationally.
All of the Committee's proceedings, documents and correspondence are protected under Section 23 of the Health Administration Act 1982.
Activities of the Special Committee Investigating Deaths Under Anaesthesia (SCIDUA)
The reporting of anaesthesia-related deaths has helped ensure the high quality and safety of anaesthetic administration. These reports provide the evidence for demonstrating the safety and risk of anaesthesia.
Learning from case reviews
- Learning from case reviews 2015 PDF ~979.0 KB