Clinical Procedure Safety
The Clinical Excellence Commission (CEC) is working with the Agency for Clinical Innovation (ACI) to improve patient safety and the quality of clinical care of patients undergoing clinical procedures by preventing incorrect patient, incorrect procedure and incorrect site incidents and reducing the occurrence of incidents associated with clinical procedures.
NSW Health policy
The Clinical Procedure Safety policy directive (PD2017_032) addresses clinical care and patient safety risks associated with clinical procedures, improves matching of the patient to the correct procedure, improves communication within the procedural team and between the patient and the procedural team, and reduces the number of clinical procedure related incidents.
The case studies below are provided as a resource for health care facilities to use during implementation of the Clinical Procedure Safety PD2017_032. Each case study is based on an incident reported to the Incident Information Management System (IIMS) and the action required is based on requirements from the Clinical Procedure Safety PD2017_032.
- Clinical Procedure Safety Case Studies Level 1 Procedures ~66KB
- Clinical Procedure Safety Case Studies Level 2 Procedures ~57KB
- Clinical Procedure Safety Case Studies Level 3 Procedures Sign In ~81KB
- Clinical Procedure Safety Case Studies Level 3 Procedures Sign Out ~60KB
- Clinical Procedure Safety Case Studies Level 3 Procedures Team Time Out ~77KB